Possible Spambot – idetrorce…

Got a weird comment a little while back.  I didn’t pay much attention to it, but found some interesting information today on it.   Apparently, “idetrorce” is a suspected bot that leaves a comment, “very interesting, but I don’t agree with you” on various blogs.  There is some concern that this is a marker for future comment spam, so I am marking this comment as spam.

More details are here on Digg….

Howto – Kubuntu, WINS, and Windows Shared Folders and Drives…

I was able to access Windows network shared drives from Kubuntu today. I started by just trying to ping a machine name (without the FQDN). That didn’t work, so next I Googled for a solution and came across this – http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-405662.html. I followed the directions and installed the required packages:

  • sudo apt-get install smbfs smbclient winbind

I then edited the nsswitch.conf file to include WINS resolution:

  • sudo vi /etc/nsswitch.conf

I appended “wins” to the hosts line:

  • hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

to this:

  • hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4 wins

After this was done, I was able to ping by machine name.

The next thing I did was to open “System Settings” from the K menu, and clicked on “Sharing” under ‘Network & Connectivity”. I got a pop-up stating that SMB and NFS servers were not installed, blah blah blah, and selected “Local Network Browsing”, where I then entered my domain/username and password.

The final step was opening Network Folders (I added the applet to the kicker bar) and added a Windows share. Name the share, put in the server name (no slashes, just the name), and the name of the share (no preceding slashes, append a dollar sign for hidden shares), and connected.

Works fine, allowing me to easily access and transfer files between the desktop and network. This is all client-side stuff. I am not interested in sharing out my Linux machine, so I do not need to install SMB server.

UPDATE:  Small problem with hidden shares – the initial session connects fine, but subsequent ones fail.  Apparently, the dollar sign is not retained, so share$/user becomes share/user.  Not sure what the fix is yet – maybe escaping the dollar sign?

Kernel 2.6.23.9 and vmware-any-any-update115…

Well, I upgraded another of my boxes from 2.6.23.1 to 2.6.23.9. This means it is time to recompile the vmmon and vmnet modules again for the new kernel. I tend to rely on the unofficial any-any-update patches, rather than the vmware installer for more recent kernels. Anyway, so far, everything works fine.

A good place to get the most recent vmware-any-any-update version (currently 115) is HERE. Be sure and cd into the vmware-any-any-update115 folder created after uncompressing the gz tarball, and run the file “runme.pl” from within that directory. I have had problems when running from outside the directory, so better safe than sorry.

Kernel upgrade instructions HERE.

Vmware install/reinstall instructions HERE.

Fun Script to Track Your Blog Hit Count…

I got the inspiration for this script from CoolTechie’s blog. He made a script to display cricket match scores from a web site. I decided to have a little fun with it, so made one of my own that periodically checks this blog and displays a popup window if the hit counter has changed, with the current visitor count.

I started with the command, “touch blog-hits”, then edited it in vi. When I was done, I typed “chmod +x blog-hits” to make it executable and ran it by typing “./blog-hits”.

Here is the script…


### Adapted from a soccer score script found on
### http://cooltechie.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/cricket-scoreboard-kde-desktop/
### Thanks out to cooltechie!


#!/bin/sh


####################
# Set variables - interrupt, url, url title, search phrase, and unchanged counter
####################
USER_INTERRUPT=13
url="http://symbolik.wordpress.com"
hits="a"
same="b"
##phrase="hits" ### this is the default, change if you use something else
phrase="bipeds"
title="Linux Free Trade Zone" ### I wanted to come up with a cool way to extract the title of the URL, but it got late...


####################
# Catch Control-C events to break out of the loop and remove the dump file
####################
trap 'echo "Quitting..."; rm -f dump; exit $USER_INTERRUPT' TERM INT


while [ 1 ]
do
lynx -dump $url > dump
hits=`grep "$phrase" dump`
if [ "$hits" != "$same" ]
then
kdialog --title "$title" --passivepopup "$hits" 10
same=$hits
fi
sleep 60
done

It grabs the text of the url, looks for the word “hits” or whatever phrase you tell it to if you have changed that on your site, and compares it to the old value (same). When the current value is different from the “same” value, such as when the script is first run and when people visit your blog, it displays that new hit count in the popup for 10 seconds, then waits one minute before re-downloading a text dump of the site. You end it with CTRL-C, which also tells it to clean up the dump file it makes. You can run it in the background if you want. I am sure there is plenty of stuff you can add to this as well, and it might even be a little buggy (inaccurate). I just thought it would be fun to have a little popup counter, and it was fun to do.

One thing I found is that it also prints the phrase you searched on to display the visitor count line, because that phrase is getting appended to the “hits” variable. Too tired to troubleshoot, however…

Anyway, enjoy!

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.