I have to post this – it is involved enough that I will forget it if I don’t. Googling for a solution was challenging.
In order to get the gkrellstock plugin installed for Gkrellm-2, on Kubuntu 8.04, these are the steps I took:
- Download the plugin from http://gkrellstock.sourceforge.net/ – gkrellstock-0.5.1.tar.gz is the current posted version.
- Install the Perl Finance modules –
sudo apt-get install libfinance-quote-perl, libfinance-streamer-perl, libfinance-yahooquote-perl
- Extract the gkrellstock file to a folder and cd into that folder.
- There is a README file with instructions, but essentially, the steps are make (which builds the gkrellstock.so file) and make install (as root). You can instead select do “make user-install” (not as root), if you wish to only install for a user, instead of to the system.
- According to the README, you may need to copy the aisa.pm file to the proper directory. However, I found the file to be in the correct place already. It helps to run updatedb (as root, of course) and locate aisa.pm, just to be sure.
- If “make install” fails, you will get some output of the script trying to copy a file to a system folder (my attempt failed because the -C switch was not understood). I opened up the Makefile and manually copied the files to work around this:
sudo cp gkrellstock.so /usr/lib/gkrellm2/plugins/
sudo chmod 644 /usr/lib/gkrellm2/plugins/gkrellstock.so
sudo cp GetQuote2 /usr/X11R6/bin/
sudo chmod 755 /usr/X11R6/bin/GetQuote2
- I restarted gkrellm, right-clicked to get the Configuration dialog, and selected and configured the GkrellStock plugin. Quote data started coming in right after that.
- I always stop and restart Gkrellm after making changes, to ensure the changes have been saved (if it crashes for whatever reason, you have to redo your changes).
Your milage may vary, and you will need to adjust fire if you use a different blend of Ubuntu or a different flavor of Linux altogether. As far as Windows goes, I’ll just say this – it can be done (good luck).