Kubuntu 7.10, Kernel 2.6.24.1, and VMware Server…


Yesterday, I updated from 2.6.23.9 to kernel 2.6.24.1.  I combed through the .config file (make menuconfig) and weeded out all of the extra fluff I knew I didn’t need.  Once done, I took the usual precautions of replacing the video driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf with vesa (from nvidia), making sure I had the latest nvidia driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.09-pkg1.run), and checking /boot/grub/menu.1st to ensure the new kernel was listed properly.

I rebooted with no apparent issues, logged into the console, uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia driver, replaced the vesa driver with nvidia in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and tested with the “X” command to confirm everything was good to go.  So far, everything seemed fine.  I rebooted again and logged in to KDE, then started a second session to check that everything was in working order, following up with a run of “glxgears” to ensure acceleration was running.

The only problem I had was when I tried to recompile/reconfigure VMware Server, using the vmware-any-any-update115 patch.  It failed to compile the vmmon module at “include/asm/bitops.h”.  Encountering a problem with VMware after a kernel version update is not new or entirely unexpected, so it was off to Google.  After weeding through various Ubuntu and VMware forums, I came across references to a vmware-any-any-update115a patch and vmware-any-any-update116, but could only find the link to the 115a patch.  Downloading, extracting, and compiling using the runme.pl file from the 115a patch allowed both the vmmon and vmnet modules to compile, although it did complain some (again, not unexpected).  Despite the complaints, however, VMware Server fired right upand I was able to get into my WinXP VM (I keep it for stupid addictive driving games and TurboTax – I am still too chicken and lazy to run TT on WINE).

Despite reading about various issues (timing, BIOS not showing up, and system-wide freezes soon after starting VMware), I have had no problems.  The Windows XPVMseems to run fine, with sound and network functions working as expected  normally well.

Here are the links that helped me:

Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: