Ok, had to reset it. Here is what I did:
- Searches led me to this site: http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
- Trial and error led me to this tool: Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD
- I downloaded the cd080802.iso file.
- As I was unable to boot from the iso file itself in the VMware Server 2 web console (don’t ask me why), I was forced to burn this to a CD and boot the VM off of it (it boot s so fast, I had to set it to boot to the BIOS first and make the CD drive the first boot device).
- I followed the defaults offered up by the boot CD and reset (blanked) my password.
- Removed the CD and booted the VM, got right into my account just fine.
- Created a new password.
I won’t soon forget this password now. What a pain. Hope this helps – I looked at John the Ripper and a couple others, but this tool really did the trick.