Kubuntu 9.04 64-Bit, Kernel 2.6.30.1, and NVIDIA…

I went ahead and decided to upgrade my kernel, and to go to the latest NVIDIA driver (180.51).  I downloaded the kernel and the nvidia driver file, built the kernel, and removed the nvidia restricted driver.  This is on a 64-bit build of Kubuntu 9.04.

However, I was not done.

When I tried to install the kernel image file, I kept getting dkms errors relating to nvidia-common.  I eventually removed the nvidia packages using “apt-get remove --purge nvidia*” (as root), but this still would not allow me to install the kernel. Also my xorg.conf file was empty.

I fixed xorg by typing “dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg” and adding in the line “Driver "vesa" ” to the “Device” section, so I would have something when I rebooted.

Only when I removed dkms (“apt-get remove dkms“), was I able to install kernel 2.6.30.1.  I use lilo since I run RAID-10, but did not have to update the /etc/lilo.conf file.  Upon reboot, I stopped X with “/etc/init.d/kdm stop“.

I next installed the NVidia driver first (and chose to install the 32-bit compatibility files as well). After that, I ran “nvidia-xconfig” and my xorg file was ready.  When testing with the “X” command, it just pulled up a blank screen, but I took a chance and started KDM (“/etc/init.d/kdm start“).

Everything came up fine.  Typing “glxgears” in a terminal showed decent enough acceleration (about 3000 fps).

So far, no other ill effects. And no firmware issues.

Kubuntu 7.10, Kernel 2.6.24.1, and VMware Server…

Yesterday, I updated from 2.6.23.9 to kernel 2.6.24.1.  I combed through the .config file (make menuconfig) and weeded out all of the extra fluff I knew I didn’t need.  Once done, I took the usual precautions of replacing the video driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf with vesa (from nvidia), making sure I had the latest nvidia driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.09-pkg1.run), and checking /boot/grub/menu.1st to ensure the new kernel was listed properly.

I rebooted with no apparent issues, logged into the console, uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia driver, replaced the vesa driver with nvidia in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and tested with the “X” command to confirm everything was good to go.  So far, everything seemed fine.  I rebooted again and logged in to KDE, then started a second session to check that everything was in working order, following up with a run of “glxgears” to ensure acceleration was running.

The only problem I had was when I tried to recompile/reconfigure VMware Server, using the vmware-any-any-update115 patch.  It failed to compile the vmmon module at “include/asm/bitops.h”.  Encountering a problem with VMware after a kernel version update is not new or entirely unexpected, so it was off to Google.  After weeding through various Ubuntu and VMware forums, I came across references to a vmware-any-any-update115a patch and vmware-any-any-update116, but could only find the link to the 115a patch.  Downloading, extracting, and compiling using the runme.pl file from the 115a patch allowed both the vmmon and vmnet modules to compile, although it did complain some (again, not unexpected).  Despite the complaints, however, VMware Server fired right upand I was able to get into my WinXP VM (I keep it for stupid addictive driving games and TurboTax – I am still too chicken and lazy to run TT on WINE).

Despite reading about various issues (timing, BIOS not showing up, and system-wide freezes soon after starting VMware), I have had no problems.  The Windows XPVMseems to run fine, with sound and network functions working as expected  normally well.

Here are the links that helped me:

Hope this helps!