I finally decided to get VMware Server running on my new kernel. Whenever the kernel is updated, there are some things you can count on having to reinstall, such as NVidia video drivers and VMware installations. I expected problems, so my methodology was to attempt a normal install, expect failure, and search on the resulting errors. This did not pan out, so I tried the VMware Community Forums, and I found this little gem on how to patch the VMware modules:
This apparently works with 32-bit as well, but may not be confirmed.
I downloaded the patch and shell script, ran the script, and followed the directions of the output:
- Move original files that could cause issues with VMware – “
mv /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary-orig“
- Run the config again, without the -d option (otherwise, root would be the only user allowed to log into the web interface) – “
Essentially, there were no problems getting everything running. Now I have to figure out what my password was to log into my Windows XP VM. I have to complete some online training that can only be done in Windows (thanks a ton). I would hate to have to crack my way in to my own VM….
Huge thanks out to both michelmase and Krellan for the patches and scripts!
Filed under: HowTo, Kernel, Linux, VMWare | Tagged: 2.6.30, 64-bit, HowTo, Kernel, modules, scripts, troubleshooting, virtual machine, virtualization, VM, vmci, vmmon, vmnet, VMWare, VMware-Server 2 | 3 Comments »