I was having some trouble with my default sound card selection and wireless modules (Broadcom bcm43xx) that were complaining. Since I am not using wireless on this, I decided to do some spring-cleaning (it’s never too early) and pull those and other modules I am not using. For this, I went into the blacklist file under /etc/modprobe.d and added the offending modules (determined by a quick run of lsmod and lspci in konsole):
- lsmod and lspci – look for those modules tied to error messages in your logs, compare to lspci output to make sure you are really identifying the modules for the hardware you do not want to use, so you do not remove something you need.
- sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist – I like vi, but feel free to use vim, nano, pico, etc.
- At the bottom of the file, I added a comment line for 18 Feb 08 – basic documentation for later if I need to fix something
- Following the comment line, I added multiple lines, each starting with the word “blacklist” and followed by a space, then the module name as shown in lsmod. Example: blacklist bcm43xx
After I was done, I had pulled not only all the wireless (including the ieee80211 modules), but had also removed the ipv6 module, and the modules related to my onboard soundcard (which I do not use and suspected of conflicting with the card I am using). After a reboot, sound worked much better, there was no mixer dropdown list to select between sound cards, there was no ipv6 module loaded, and the wireless complaints stopped. lsmod revealed that indeed the modules were no longer loaded, and things seem to be running more smoothly now.